To understand this you need to have a grasp on what happens when you type a search into Google.
Google is what’s known as a search engine. It’s basically a program that takes your search and matches it up with data on the internet that is relevant to your search.
In order to do this Google has programs that periodically “read” all of the text on all of the websites they can get ahold of.
They make a giant index out of all of this data so when you search for something like “hot dog”, they will return all of the websites that say the word hot dog.
As you can see, there are over 47 million websites that talk about hot dogs!
With that many websites being returned for a simple search, Google developed a system to determine which of these results are most helpful to the user doing the search.
There are hundreds of factors that get reviewed in determining the best answer for a search. Some of these we know about, some are confidential and known only to the exact people that programmed them.
Studio98’s Premium SEO Services
So how do you do anything effective to show up in response to a search?
There are a few general guidelines we do know that help. These are what we focus on in our SEO (Search Engine Optimization) service.
- Design your website to be very user-friendly. Ensure it has all the relevant data someone might need when checking out your business
- Ensure your site loads swiftly and is free of any broken links or code errors
- Make sure your website is built with “responsive” web design so it is mobile friendly
- Actually pick a target that you would like to show up for in searches. Don’t pick fifty of them, pick 3-5 and look through your site and ensure that you are talking about these subjects intelligently and helpfully.
- Write new articles continually and work to get people to read them.
- Reach out to other sites who provide valuable content to people in your market and work to generate content that these sites will consider valuable enough to link to. In other words, they say “This great article was just posted on [your site], I think you should check it out” and then they provide a link to your article.
It usually takes about 4-6 months to start to change your position on the search results. Depending on where you were when you began working on it, you should have a pretty good idea after a few months as to how much work it is going to take you to get to the #1 position for the search you are trying to show up for.
This is a long-term strategy and takes consistent work over a long period of time to be effective. You can also run a paid ad campaign along with your SEO in order to get more immediate feedback and ensure that you are setting the right keywords to show up for. You can get more data here on the Paid Ad Service we offer.
Ready to get started on your premium SEO campaign? Contact us to get started today!